–––––––––––––––––– As featured in –––––––––––––––––––
Study Looks at Impact of Opening Retail Clinics Near Emergency Rooms
Merchant Medicine CEO Tom Charland is co-author in a study just published in Annals of Emergency Medicine ("Association Between the Opening of Retail Clinics and Low-Acuity Emergency Department Visits"). The study shows that retail clinics opened near emergency departments had little effect on rates of low-acuity visits to them. The study involved the work of a team from Rand Corporation, Truven Health Analytics, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality and Merchant Medicine. The study can be accessed below.
Study Shows Patients Still Prefer Their PCP for Episodic Illnesses, Injuries and Screenings
A detailed Merchant Medicine study released last January on patient preferences between retail clinics, urgent care clinics and primary care physician offices reveals a striking preference for the family doctor. In a national survey of more than 2,000 adults between the ages of 18 and 54, when asked where they go when they need medical care, the vast majority of patients still say they go to their primary care physician over a retail clinic or urgent care clinic for themselves or their kids.
“The results of this survey are particularly instructive to hospital systems who have a medical group and a separate urgent care operation,” says Tom Charland, CEO of Merchant Medicine. “Having a coherent strategy between the two goes without saying. But the study showed strong evidence of a preference for the hospital brand, and an integrated walk-in strategy could result in significant competitive advantage.”
Register now for the 2017 ConvUrgentCare Strategy Symposium
The 2017 ConvUrgentCare Strategy Symposium is an invitation-only event in its 9th year that brings together senior executives from health systems, private urgent care and medical groups with an interest in planning for the next 5 to 10 years. There is a tremendous amount of attention on primary care today, and this sector has never seen more competitive pressure. Retail clinics are beginning to do chronic disease management; urgent care clinics are starting to act as medical homes; employers are opening worksite clinics with full primary care and specialty care services; telemedicine is starting to show signs of viability; and network development partnerships abound.
Join Our Community
Follow us on LinkedIn and subscribe to our ConvUrgentCare® Report. The ConvUrgentCare® Report is a confidential, proprietary market report sent monthly on emerging topics in the on-demand healthcare industry. Each quarter we share the most recent breakdown of top urgent care and retail clinic operators across the nation. Email us to request a recent sample edition [email@example.com].
Merchant Medicine Speaking Engagements
Tom Charland will be speaking at the Healthcare Financial Management Association (HFMA) Region V Institute, March 21-24, 2017 at the Westin Savannah Harbor in Savannah, GA.
- Tom Charland will be moderating a panel at the McGuireWoods 11th Annual Healthcare Provider Conference on Tuesday, October 11, 2016 at the Ritz-Carlton in Charlotte, NC.
Merchant Medicine in the recent news....
- Data exchange rises in importance for urgent care providers
- Merchant Medicine Director Laurel Stoimenoff named UCAOA CEO
- Data Exchange Rises In Importance For Urgent Care Providers
- Optum-owned MedExpress Opens First Minnesota Locations
- The Ads Say ‘Get Your Flu Shot Today,’ But It May Be Wiser To Wait
- UnitedHealth's Optum unit makes big push into urgent care in Minnesota - Star Tribune
- Retail Clinics Add Convenience But Also Hike Costs, Study Finds
- Telemedicine Boosts Patient Satisfaction at Urgent Care Chain - HealthData Management
- Traditional Providers Get Into the Urgent-Care Game - Wall Street Journal
- UnitedHealth's "Urgent" Strategy Is Paying Off - Motley Fool
- Investors Taking Note Of Urgent Care Center Boom - Forbes
- Target selling its pharmacies, clinics to CVS for $1.9 billion - Star Tribune
- Why We're Picking Walmart and CVS Over Doctors' Offices - Huffington Post
- Creating a successful marriage between health care providers & insurers - LifeHealthPro.com
- Insurers' New Multi-Billion Dollar Play: Population Health - Forbes
- Retail Clinics Hit 10 Million Annual Visits But Just 2% Of Primary Care Market - Forbes
- Wal-Mart's New Everyday Low Price: A $40 Doctor Visit - MarketWatch
- Ebola Preparedness Needed At Urgent Care Clinics - Modern Healthcare
- Walmart Wants To Be Your Doctor - Washington Post
- In Ambitious Bid, Walmart Seeks Foothold in Primary Care Services - New York Times
- Race Is On to Profit From Rise of Urgent Care - New York Times
- CVS Drives Retail Clinic Growth As Obamacare Launches - Forbes
- 10 Things Drug Stores Won't Tell You - Wall Street Journal
- Retail Clinics as Competitors or Partners? - HealthLeaders Media