–––––––––––––––––– As featured in –––––––––––––––––––
Study Looks at Impact of Opening Retail Clinics Near Emergency Rooms
Merchant Medicine CEO Tom Charland is co-author in a study just published in Annals of Emergency Medicine ("Association Between the Opening of Retail Clinics and Low-Acuity Emergency Department Visits"). The study shows that retail clinics opened near emergency departments had little effect on rates of low-acuity visits to them. The study involved the work of a team from Rand Corporation, Truven Health Analytics, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality and Merchant Medicine. The study can be accessed below.
Study Shows Patients Still Prefer Their PCP for Episodic Illnesses, Injuries and Screenings
A detailed Merchant Medicine study released last January on patient preferences between retail clinics, urgent care clinics and primary care physician offices reveals a striking preference for the family doctor. In a national survey of more than 2,000 adults between the ages of 18 and 54, when asked where they go when they need medical care, the vast majority of patients still say they go to their primary care physician over a retail clinic or urgent care clinic for themselves or their kids.
How health plan and provider interaction affect customer satisfaction for plans
Bernie Kuhn, Principal with Merchant Medicine LLC, and Valerie Monet, Director & Practice Lead for Health Insurance at J.D. Power, recently worked together to understand the data behind customer satisfaction in regards to the effects caused by health plan and provider interactions. Inside, you will find how plans must get back to the basics and put patients first in order to improve overall satisfaction.
Join Our Community
Follow us on LinkedIn and subscribe to our ConvUrgentCare® Report. The ConvUrgentCare® Report is a confidential, proprietary market report sent monthly on emerging topics in the on-demand healthcare industry. Each quarter we share the most recent breakdown of top urgent care and retail clinic operators across the nation. Email us to request a recent sample edition [email@example.com].
Merchant Medicine Speaking Engagements
Tom Charland will be speaking at the Healthcare Financial Management Association (HFMA) Region V Institute, March 21-24, 2017 at the Westin Savannah Harbor in Savannah, GA.
- Tom Charland named Closing General Session speaker at the Urgent Care Association of America (UCAOA) 2017 Urgent Care Convention & Expo, April 30-May 3, 2017 in National Harbor, MD.
Merchant Medicine in the recent news....
- Target selling its pharmacies, clinics to CVS for $1.9 billion
- Why We're Picking Walmart and CVS Over Doctors' Offices - Huffington Post
- Creating a successful marriage between health care providers & insurers - LifeHealthPro.com
- Insurers' New Multi-Billion Dollar Play: Population Health
- Retail Clinics Hit 10 Million Annual Visits But Just 2% Of Primary Care Market - Forbes
- Wal-Mart's New Everyday Low Price: A $40 Doctor Visit
- Ebola Preparedness Needed At Urgent Care Clinics
- Walmart Wants To Be Your Doctor - Washington Post
- In Ambitious Bid, Walmart Seeks Foothold in Primary Care Services - New York Times
- Race Is On to Profit From Rise of Urgent Care - NYT
- CVS Drives Retail Clinic Growth As Obamacare Launches
- 10 Things Drug Stores Won't Tell You - Wall Street Journal
- Retail Clinics as Competitors or Partners?
- Data exchange rises in importance for urgent care providers
- The Fast Pace deal and the rise of urgent care: 7 things to...
- Urgent care centers increasingly popular with traditional providers
- Value-based care driving demand for medical offices, ambulatory care space
- Merchant Medicine Director Laurel Stoimenoff named UCAOA CEO
- Data Exchange Rises In Importance For Urgent Care Providers
- Optum-owned MedExpress Opens First Minnesota Locations
- The Ads Say ‘Get Your Flu Shot Today,’ But It May Be Wiser...
- UnitedHealth's Optum unit makes big push into urgent care...
- Retail Clinics Add Convenience But Also Hike Costs, Study...
- Telemedicine Boosts Patient Satisfaction at Urgent Care...
- Traditional Providers Get Into the Urgent-Care Game - WSJ
- UnitedHealth's "Urgent" Strategy Is Paying Off - Motley Fool
- Investors Taking Note Of Urgent Care Center Boom - Forbes